Red, Blue, and the Final Answer/and a shameless plug

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jul 7 15:29:36 EDT 2014

First, yes, the Modeling Committee is asking the archives if we have any
chips to forward to a paint manufacturer.

Second, I feel for Lee who with good intentions opened up this can of worms
again.

Third, we got some good usable "this is how I do it" answers that people
can try.

Fourth, we got an admission from many experienced people that your lighting
is a major factor; other factors include the date of the picture you're
using, the film, the time lapse between the time the item was painted and
the time the picture was taken, and scale.  And your own color perception.
I really enjoyed the unsigned post that mentioned some of these factors in
an observation of multiple prototype cabs.

And lest we think that this problem is limited to "ancient" times, I recall
seeing a few years ago a number of the Solid Gold boxcars that did not
match.

If anyone on this list is at the NMRA National in Cleveland next week,
please feel free to drop by my clinic on Pochahontas Motive Power, or my
Scratchbuilding '98 (for people who aren't ready for Scratchbuilding
101)and say hello.  If time permits, Scratchbuilding '98 includes a brief
rif on color, painting, perception.

Frank Bongiovanni