Homasote VS Pink foam

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu May 8 15:40:38 EDT 2014

John: The NMRA Division 7 in Cincinnati has contributed over 45+ published layouts in Model Railroad magazines than any other Division. You might say that Cincinnati is the Model railroading capital in the USA.

The current president and vise president came from Division 7. No one here uses Homasote anymore as it is out dated as new technology has advance many years ago with over 175+ layouts in Cincinnati.

Homasote was eventually replaced with upson board, with foam board next as “Model Railroader” builds its layouts now as shown in the magazines. Woodlawn Scenic’s foam system which was developed for easy installation, sound proofing ( the polyurethane roadbed) which is quieter than anything out there and to help in building a 3D layout. Foam is a safe product that adhesives (water base) or glue can be used. If hand laying your own track you simply glue the wood ties to your foam and spike the rail into the wood ties. All this information come from current HOW TO Books and the Model Railroading how to build… articles. None of this is my opinion, but I can say from 50+ years experience I have used all these materials, and foam is now the best way to go.

Note: Start your layout (track) higher than your table base and put plaster cloth down the middle where the roadbed is going to go. This allows you to take your scenery above or below track level giving you a more 3D effect by later wetting the plaster cloth in up or down positions.

Stephen Rineair