Sunset annouces O scale Powhatan Arrow Cars

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Apr 28 08:59:58 EDT 2014

That photo on the cover of the January 1950 issue was from a hand tinted print from N&W Photographer J.D. Kanode.

I suspect that it was done that way as the color transparencies that were shot at the same time were rather dull in color. Considering that it was early December when they were made, as I recall (reading, I was certainly not there) that the weather was a bit drab going west on the press run but dramatically improved on the eastbound run.

The same reason for the black roof on the retouched version, it simply looked more dynamic in the print.

Ken Miller