Starting point for HO N&W SD40

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 19 14:19:13 EST 2014

Hi Jim;

I need to correct you. One of Kato's first USA diesels was a SD40; their SD40-2 came much later. Rail Power Products offered a SD40 (and SD38) shell, after Athearn bought them out, Athearn offered a ready to roll SD40. This was many years after Athearn first offered a SD40-2.

Mehano has built a SD40 model for decades, first imported by AHM, later IHC. I would not use it as a starting point. The chassis actually runs well - with a motor replacement, but is geared 8.5:1 (uses 17 tooth gear with a double lead worm). The Mabuchi motor Mantua used in their GP20 and F7 in the 1990's is a very good match for that gearing.

Nigel