UH-OH

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jan 13 23:25:18 EST 2013

I have seen both the suggested method and a bell crank method used
successfully.

It would be possible to use the Tortoise suggested method without moving the
turnout either by carefully drilling up from the bottom as has already been
suggested. Or by drilling off the end of the throwbar and adding a linkage
(or simply bend the wire over) to attach to the throwbar. This is difficult
to hide scenically.

The bell crank option involves drilling a hole for a 1/8" tube centered
between the ties a couple of ties away from the throwbar. Then bending a
wire to pass through the tube and connect to the throwbar. Another bend is
applied under the table which is then attached to the Tortoise. An example
with the connection outside the rail is shown here:

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64631

An advantage to this method is that the Tortoise does not have to be aligned
with the track, thus it is possible to avoid unfortunate placement of
benchwork. (Ask me how I know).

Don Trettel

Fall City, Wa.