UH-OH

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jan 13 17:07:13 EST 2013

There is another linkage that a number of my friends use and we have used recently on my layout.  It requires only a .125 diamenter hole drilled from the top 2 or 3 ties away from the throw bar either toward or away from the frog.  That allows some flexibility in missing under layout structure.

You insert a brass tube in the hole with the tubing flush with the tie surface and extending an inch or so below the layout subroadbed.  Then you make a crank using the smaller size brass tubing that slides in the first tube.  Make a crank that goes from the tube to the hole in the center of the throwbar, solder the crank into the smaller tube.  now by rotating the tube with the crank, the points move as desired.  The crank tube should extend at least a half inch below the outer tube below the layout.  Now fabricate a bar that clamps onto that tube flush with the outer tube; this prevents the crank from riding up over time.

now use that bar as another crank that can be moved back and forth by the movement of the tortoise machine.  I connect the two with piece of piano wire with a kink in it.  the Piano wire provides some give at each end of travel of the tortoise.

A nice feature of this method is that the tortoise can be mounted in various directions and at various distances from the crank to miss under layout obstructions.

I know that this method is not new but I don't know where to point you for references.  There must be some pictures or drawings posted on the web.

It sounds complicated but if you make a batch of parts it is no more so than the direct mount with the large predrilled hole under the points.

Ed

Ed Sproles 609 844 0473
preferred email is ess**at**ieee.org replacing the asterisks and the word at with the at symbol