MTH Powhatan Arrow set and my thoughts

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Oct 27 16:41:50 EDT 2011

I have the MTH 5-car set an extra P3 and I'm thrilled that someone finally
did this set that is ready to run and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (though
it's not cheap either). It's a good looking set and overall well done I
thought, the cars roll great and running them on my club's layout (with the
couplers placed in alternating pockets) with its sharp-curves.

My biggest complaints about the cars is that for one I am not thrilled with
the diaphragms in particular, one can have close-coupled, accurate looking
diaphragms that actually function, but MTH's arrangement with the twin
coupler screw holes and the close coupled cars only working on 44" curves
doesn't thrill me. Maybe one day I'll replace them. The other thing I am not
thrilled with is the interiors, but first I do applaud MTH for interior
arrangements and colors that mimic the prototypes, except the seats are to
low to the floors and in order to put figures in (what is a passenger train
without figures?) you have to chop half of their legs off. I do think they
could have done better in that sense.
Despite those complaints I do really like this set, if not for this set I'd
likely not have a model of the Powhatan Arrow, and plan to keep it and fix
it up to my liking.

Alvie