HO N&W steam

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jul 8 08:05:11 EDT 2011

First, apologies for digging up so many old threads here recently - as some might have guessed, I got behind on the mail, but can't prevent myself from replying - regardless of the age!

Mike makes an excellent point in the email below that I was also going to suggest.  A Wiki, for those unfamiliar with it, is a web page that can be edited by the public.

The advantages of a wiki are that a wide range of people can provide content.  Ed Painter may be able to provide the bulk of the data, for example, then anyone that has additional information, can fill in blanks, or add comments about nuances of a model.  Giving this work to "the crowd" takes a fairly gargantuan task of creating, then updating and maintaining, such a list off the shoulders of one person.  Uses of the wiki can modify content on existing pages, or add completely new pages.

For example, you may have a list of boxcars that bear the name of N&W, with some vital statistics such as manufacturer, stock number, ranking of out of the box accuracy, specific items that aren't correct, etc.  At some later point, someone who has done work on correcting inaccuracies could create a specific page for that model listing parts and techniques they used to correct it and can link that page back to the listing of models.  If a new page is poorly placed, admins can move pages around or delete them if need be.

Disadvantages are the one time effort of installing and configuring wiki software and consistent editing styles or content.  With this groups interest in accuracy, I don't think the latter should be much of an issue.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

>________________________________

NWHS web site. I have asked our modeling committee to supply the data and
we'd post it on the site.

>One thought I have about such as list - Rank the accuracy by stars with 4

or 5 stars most closely matching the prototype. Zero stars would indicate
a standard model of a generic freight car with N&W lettering. This
would give folks a general idea of how close it matches the prototype
without spending even more time detailing the differences.

>Ron Davis

>At 02:55 PM 1/21/2011, you wrote:

boundary="_000_7B23CAA87A0BD149868412002CAE9CFC0BD7E1E71FSWEC9981wintr_"

>>Freight cars would be something we could try.  So often road-names

are simply put onto a boxcar of other car type with little regard for
prototype accuracy.  There are however a number of models that have
been produced that pretty well represent N&W prototypes.  I have
a very large number of HO freight cars from present going back to the 50s
(and in some case the 40s).  All my locomotives and rolling stock
for all railroads are inventoried on Excel spread sheets by
railroad,  car or locomotive number (the railroads number on the
piece of equipment) along with the manufacturer and their stock or ID
number (if I have the original box or simply have it).   To
compile a complete list of all car models lettered N&W would be
significant undertaking.  It might be interesting to try.  I
need to give some thought on where to begin……accuracy of freight car
models (even those that were to be specific N&W prototypes)would be a
real point of contention. Putting an all inclusive list of N&W
factory lettered cars together would at least be a starting point.
I have something under 500 N&W freight cars as part of my model
railroad.  Wood, wood/metal, metal, plastic, and a few brass
ones.  Many of these model would greatly disturb the modelers that
are absolute purists because manufacturers simply applied N&W
lettering to a large production run model.  I could always clean up
my spreadsheet, removing duplicates and custom painted models, send it
out to on modeling list, and solicit additions and comments to my home
email address to add to or modify my list?  I have already
considered doing this with brass and plastic locomotives as well as brass
non-revenue equipment, and passenger cars.

>>I may be on the verge of creating a monster here!

>>Ed Painter - Narrows, VA currently living in Russellville,

AR