don't use latex gloves - do use nitrile gloves Re: Brass painting advice wanted

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Mar 17 17:00:03 EDT 2011

Please do not use latex gloves; use nitrile gloves.

• latex dissolves in solvents (including alcohol) like those used in paint (even the chemicals is water based paint).
• latex residue can transfer to your mode l ; ruining the paint job.
• many people are deathly allergic to latex
• paint chemicals can get through the latex, and then through your skin.

Nitrile gloves are widely available; Harbor Freight stocks them.

when using nitrile gloves, if you are extremely concerned about contamination, after putting on the gloves, wash your hands with alcohol. Alcohol will have no adverse effect on the nitrile.

the hard disk drive industry - which is hyper sensitive to contamination; far more so than NASA or semi conductor; uses Nitrile gloves.

Nigel