Brass painting advice wanted

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Mar 8 09:08:13 EST 2011

Greg;

Most all brass models come with a clear finish on them from the factory, to prevent tarsh, which is when the brass oxidizes as it is exposed to air.

For surface prep you can use one of three methods. First is to leave it alone and paint the model as is. Second, you can give it a vinegar soak, which will etch the clear coat to better accept paint. Using a paint stripper or Pine Sol will work as well. Be sure not to leave it in for more than a couple of hours and use a tooth brush to scrub with.

Third is to grit blast the clear coat from the model. You can use either baking soda or a manufactured medium, such as silica sand, which is sold by Badger and such, specifically for this purpose as well as general paint removal. Do note that if you use a manufactured medium on plastic, be very careful as you can damage the plastic model, henceforth baking soda.

Yesterday I took two Overland model locomotive chassis and did nothing to them for prep and sprayed them with Scalecoat I Loco Black, as a test. The issue I experienced was that the paint wicked away from the solder lines. Not sure if this is from the flux or what. Since I only painted half of the frames, I am going to try using a primer on the other half to see if I still have the same issue.

Once painted, I would let the model air dry for ~30 minutes and then stick it in the oven for ~45-60 minutes at ~150-175 degrees to bake the paint on. Scalecoat and SCII typically have a nice glossy finish to decal right on to.

Typically I use an airbrush to paint 99% of my models, as you have better control of the paint and how thick or thin it is applied to the model.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Russ Goodwin
Buford, GA