Brass painting advice wanted

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Mar 8 08:11:21 EST 2011

First, remove the body from the frame.

Next, remove the trucks, keeping them with the springs and bolts used to attach them.

Brass has a lacquer clear coat applied to keep it from tarnishing.
This needs to be removed. It only hides the detail on the brass.

Soak the body and frame in lacquer thinner for 2-3 days and then,
with an ‘epoxy brush’ with bristles cut down to 1/4 inch in length,
scrub the lacquer off the brass.

Let the parts air dry to make sure all the lacquer has been removed.
The remains will look like white powder.
Continue to soak and scrub until all tha lacquer is off the body and frame.

I’d use Scalecoat without any primer at all, as that primer coat obscures the details.
I use an airbrush though.

Let the Scalecoat dry for about 2 days under 100 watt light bulbs, or until you can’t smell any thinner from the paint.
In the mean time, paint your trucks. Paint your details before putting your cab back together. Add slide glass for the windows, and maybe someone in the cupola? Decal, and then spray a clear gloss over your decals. This should represent your cab right out of the paint shop. Weather to taste, using FLAT colors like flat black for soot, and “Sand” for dust.

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930’s