k-3

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Feb 28 15:53:24 EST 2011

K-3's were 200 to 209. The lettering on the cab wall with the road number
were used up to June of 1941 when the lettering "NORFOLK AND WESTERN" was
applied to the tender sides. K-3's were all sold in WWII. Note that the
pre-June 1941 lettering used aluminum paint on passenger engines and gold
paint or gold leaf on freight locomotives. Also the "&" was used instead of
"AND" in the pre June 1941 version. The change in June 1941 switched to
cheaper DULUX Imitation Gold paint. All of this lettering change, old-to
new with a description of both, was described in Charlie Schlottober's
article in the Vol 23-1 issue of The ARROW magazine: an earlier article on
lettering was done by Tom Dressler in 1998.

(Final note: the lettering is NOT Railroad Roman or a standard variation of
that. Only printers used the standard fonts which they purchased from
manufacturers for use in type-setting machines in the printing process. Big
'stuff' was hand-drawn by a draftsman in the engineering office to a form
that usually did not conform to a standard font style; the draftsman made a
large pattern on linen with small holes in the linen for the 'sign' painter
to use a chalk ponce bag to leave a series of chalk dots on the tender side
by tapping the bag over the linen template pattern. The painter then
free-hand painted the lettering on to the tender side. This is why you
can't easily make home-made decals on your computer using a standard font
available for most printers.)

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati