N at W BLUE

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Feb 26 17:30:17 EST 2011

To whoever,

It's my understanding that the society and others "in touch" with the manufacturers try to offer assistance with the various aspects of any model, including color, but for the most part the information is ignored a lot of the time.  However, part of the problem is that even though the information is available, the N&WHS does not see developing this as important.  The "official" position of the society seems to be pick what ever color pleases you, so I would guess that if it's not important to "us", to establish the correct Pelver Blue or Tuscan Red(s) to be used, why would it be important to the manufactures (if they listened).

Contrary to a lot of the dialog  (look through past posts concerning this issue),  There is only one correct Pelver Blue and two correct Tuscan Reds (Pre-middle 50's and post middle 50's) for the N&W.  What you are seeing is the effect of weathering (bleaching and chalking) and aging on those colors and it is technically wrong to view these changes as a new or different color, the color is just bleached out and/or has chalked (white is not the only color that will chalk).  There are also other factors that need to be considered with some colors when painting a model vs a real locomotive.  The eye sometimes sees a "different color" when you seen on a large area vs a small area.  Lighting also affects what the eye sees, but the reality is its still the same color  (this is why you should take a sample home and paint an area of the wall to see how it looks instead of relying on the color chip).  Consequently, there still may be a need to
adjust the color slightly for appearances sake.  The short of it is, if you want some "pre-weathered" equipment it's out there otherwise we usually get stuck with PRR Tuscan Red which is "not as red" as N&W Tuscan.

With all of that said,  I believe there is a reference to a DuPont number for Pelver Blue in the N&WHS archives and there is a drift card for at least one of the N&W Tuscan Reds in the Pullman archives that I have been told a "true" copy can be obtained from.

Hope this helps!

Rodney