E-3 & K-3 Re: HO Brass radius

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Feb 12 07:03:45 EST 2011

Actually, the K3's will do 22" without issue. Only if the springs are soft or deformed on the rear 2 drivers will it short the engine.

When I bought mine I rebuilt it with very stiff springs because I also filled mine with lead sheet to make it pull more. I also rebuilt the valve gear as the model as produced is in reverse.

I have lots of Bowser valve gear parts I can modify for other engines and had to re-rivet my W-2 because on super-elevated track, the gear would interfere with the side rods.
Luckily, my M's don't have that problem.

I need some info on the Radford munitions trains pulled by K3's though.
Did they put the munitions on the same trains as the workers used to get to work there on?
Were the munitions in special cars?
Did they put 6-8 empty hoppers in between the munitions cars and other cars?

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's