Giant 1956 - K1

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Feb 3 14:50:16 EST 2011

It was painted and stenciled at Roanoke Shops. As I understand, it was only lettered that way on the fireman's side, as that was all that was seen in the movie. I've not located anything short of a photo in the photo section of Trains Magazine at the time that was made anywhere other than at the Shops.

It was filmed on the C&O in the vicinity of Charlottesville. The station shown in the movie as "Ardmore" is actually Keswick, just east of Charlottesville. The view of the train was a bit distant in the photo.

I think the movie company wanted something that looked more like 1920s than a C&O K-4 or one of the handful of steam locomotives they had running at the time. Most C&O steam had been stored, and did not look quite as nice as an normally in-service K1 with new paint.

Ken Miller