HO N&W steam (was Re: HO Scale limited runs)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jan 19 14:53:58 EST 2011

Some additional brass models of N&W shifters and M-2's:

* Precision Scale Models produced a very limited run of ex-C&O, N&W S-1s. I have one that is factory painted. This is a very accurate model a rare find and expensive.

These can run from $600 to $1000 if you can find one.

* Tenshodo/PFM produces a Crown model of the C&O C-16 and N&W S-1. I have 3 of these. Some notes I found on it are be are listed below:

The Chesapeake & Ohio C-16 0-8-0's were built by Baldwin in 1948, and served well until 1950 when they were sold to the N&W due to the new dieselization program. The N&W made some changes to the (now S-1) 0-8-0's after they bought them from the C&O. Specifically they added a second air pump to the fireman side, with a bump in the running board above it, and two smaller air tanks. In addition the left check valve was moved higher up the boiler and the headlight was replaced with a different type. They also modified the tenders to N&W design. The HO Tenshodo brass model was basically well constructed and detailed, for its time, but the engine represented the N&W version, while the tender is the unmodified C&O version. The engine also had Lima, not Baldwin builders plates. The model as sold was not correct for either railway's version.

These can go from $175 to $350

* Precision Scale Models produced models N&W M-2's, M-2b's, and M-2c's. Very fine quality, accurate models. I have one of each.
These can run from $600 to $1100
* Sunset produced a M-2. I sold mine a while back. Still a nice model.
These can go from $350-$600
Ed Painter - Narrows, VA currently living in Arkansas