COAL TIPPLES

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Nov 30 08:14:14 EST 2010

Walthers New River Mine is based on the Edna tipple located in
Colorado. The plans and a photo spread appeared in RMC I think
sometimes in the 80s. The other plastic tipple that is available is
made by Pola and looks like a wooden abandoned tipple that in reality
would never be used. It is based on a model of a British Columbia
tipple and was featured in a three part series by Jack Work in MR,
Oct-Dec 1959. It is a slope mine and features an elevated hoist house
as well as models for the auxiliary buildings. If you read the text on
this article you will find out more about the site and and how
compressed air was sent below for the miners to use.

This is the second tipple kit that BTS has produced. The first was a
limited edition and is hard to find in HO. S Scale kits are still
available as far as I know. In wood, Blair Line makes a very nice truck
dump based on a EBT prototype. Tygert Tipple is another kit made by Red
Ball in their hometown series. This is another truck dump of a
different design and again a small design. If you can find them,
Industrial Heritage made a laser cut styrene kit for an Ohio coal
tipple. This was a massive two track tipple and was based on drawing
and an article by Charlie McCoy in the NMRA Bulletin back in the 60s.

The best articles that have appeared on kit bashing tipples came from
Tony Koester on building his coal branch on the Allegheny Midland. It
offers ideas on different types of small to large tipples and how to
bash them.

The have been many more tipples plans published for both standard gauge
and narrow gauge, all eastern in design from mule powered to dog mines
and the rest.

Larry Smith