Robertson Screws? Drywall Screws?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Oct 28 10:37:38 EDT 2010

The Canadians mentioned these on show 24 <grin>. I was scratching my head until
Pierre volunteered the square drive clarification.

Question: Why these over a Phillips head? Both would seem to offer the benefit
of self-centering of the driver, and, on the surface at least, the Phillips
would seem to have an advantage of a longer lever (the squarehead screws I've
seen have much shorter bearing surfaces than a Phillips.

What gives?

Another question - why not Drywall screws? They have an aggressive thread with
a thin shank, so self thread well. My intuition is that they would also be less
likely to strip in soft material due to the deeper threads. I've typically used
normal wood screws with pilot holes, especially in areas with a high shear load,
but I have used drywall screws on occasion.

Thanks

Matt Goodman