A general question to the entire group

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Oct 26 13:08:45 EDT 2010

Eric,

I am approaching 25 years working on my layout....and still not near complete!

I have always kept an eye out for available models that closely resembled the N&W prototypes; for a long time there really was very little that was close.  MDC (Roundhouse) offered their 3-bay ribbed side hopper in multiple numbers for N&W and Virginian. The model isn't really accurate for either, but it was what was available.

The Athearn 34 foot rib side hopper is close to a VGN prototype and these have been offered from time to time in multiple numbers.

I too have acquired the Stewart/Bowser cars (or most of them) available through NWHS.  I also have picked up the H-2a models done by Broadway.

I have also added cars by purchasing undecorated models, building them and applying decals.  I have built more-than-I-care-to-remember of the Eastern Car Works H-2/H-2a/H-3 hopper kits.

Although the Shenandoah Division doesn't need as many hoppers as a "coal focused layout" I still need more hoppers since N&W shipped a lot of coal north up the valley to connections with B&O and PRR.

Some options are:

1.  Just keep purchasing the decorated models as they are produced (if you are willing to accept non-prototypical models this will allow more quantity) (Also, Bob Chapman did a series in the Arrow a few years ago, part or all of which was repeated in Mainline Modeler; Bob showed how to modify the available cars to be more prototypical for N&W; his articles are excellent.)

2.  Pick-up undecorated models and paint/decal them yourself; IIRC, the Commissary offers decal sets for hoppers and a number set.

3.  If you can afford it, have a run produced by your mfg. of preference; my suggestion would be to have the cars decorated with all lettering, reporting marks, etc., but NO numbers; you could then have decals made of the numbers and apply them.

4.  A variation of the #3 would be to purchase the models undecorated from the mfg and have a third party paint/stencil them.

I'm hopeful more N&W hopper models will become available; however, I would expect these to be produced in a medium other than plastic.  Adding a few of these will give some nice variation to the fleet.  In the past, I believe Overland Models produced the N&W H-4 in brass; this was the war-time emergency hopper and as built had wood sides; the sides were eventually replaced with steel.  N&W only had 1,000 of these cars, but they really stand out in a train.  I managed to find a steel side version of the brass car.

Keep the faith; part of the fun is getting there!

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD