Scale v. Detail (NW Modeling List)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Aug 31 12:56:55 EDT 2010

Gene,

I think of it in terms of N-Scale gives you more track per square foot of
layout space (i.e. more train operations), while HO-scale gives you more
options in equipment and is a good trade-off of scale modeling vs. track
(i.e. I can run lots of trains, while still being able to do more scale
modelling). Of course, O-scale is where you can really do scale modelling,
and operations are even more realistic (e.g. you can actually hear and feel
the slack being taken out of a string of freight cars), but what you gain in
scale modeling, you give up in less train operations per square foot of
layout space. For me, HO-scale provides the best compromise. YMMV.

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA

Modeling the N&W in 1951, when Precision Transportation was still steam
powered.