Challengers and coal

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Feb 25 08:28:23 EST 2010

Bituminous coal qualities vary greatly by seam according to volatile matter, fixed carbon, Phosphorus, ash, sulphur and caloric value (BTU). These values can vary within a seam around some average.

Depending on the proportion of these different coal characteristics within a seam (Pocahontas, New River, Sewell) the coal can be classified as to best use such as metallurgical (coke making), steam, bunker, domestic, smithing, etc. Pocahontas coal had 12 identified seams, each with slightly different charteristics. The preferred Pocahontas coal was from No. 3 seam and then No. 4 seam.

Western coal, in general, has a lower BTU value then eastern coal. Eastern coal, while high in BTU value, could be affected by how well the coal was cleaned of slate and boney material. This also varied by seam.

If you look at mining districts in N&W annual reports or coal publications you can get an idea of the variance in coal on the N&W. The Poachontas district mainly mined coal from the Pocahontas seams although there was some coal from the War Creek (Beckley) seam that was considered a New River classification of coal. The Tug River District produced coal from the Davy-Sewell, Welch and War Creek seams or if you were willing toput in a shaft mine you could reach the Pocahontas seams that were 300 to 500 feet below the surface. The Thacker district mainly (in McDowell County) produced coal from the Cedar Grove, Douglas and Iaeger seams.

The seam characteristics were a great selling point and were used by sales agents in advertising coal. Major coal companies had laboratories on premises to test the composition of coal being mined. Other coal companies might use independent labs, but the coal was continually tested for chemical compostion.

Alex Schust