City of St Louis (NW Modeling List)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 24 14:31:12 EST 2010

Guys: The short answer is that coal with a higher caloric content burned in
a locomotive not designed for that coal would result in a slightly lower use
of coal per ton-mile in that locomotive if fired at or near stoichiometric
conditions. But, there are many if, ands, or buts that would effect the
transfer of heat within the locomotive and the capture and conversion of
that heat energy into work.

Gary Rolih
Cincinnati