Walthers PS 10-6 Sleeper

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Nov 9 14:12:05 EST 2009

To answer Ed's question about the RF&P cars, I saw one of these cars at Broad St Station, Richmond in the late 1960's. I remember the color as being PRR tuscan, more brown than N&W tuscan. I photographed N&W 10-6 Buchanan County in Roanoke in 1966, and it was that richer N&W tuscan. At that date McDowell County was Pevler blue. And yes, the RF&P cars were stored at Broad St. after the advent of Amtrak.

As far as determining what models will have sales appeal, note that RF&P was a railroad with barely a 100 mile main line. Compare that to N&W. No argument about the volume of passenger traffic on N&W as compared to RF&P. Sleeping cars were not captive on their home roads. It's on record that N&W S-1 Pike County was seen on the northbound Seaboard Silver Meteor in the early 1960's, before the S-1's were sold to PRR.

--Rick Morrison