Early N & W diesels in HO DCC

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Aug 10 11:04:03 EDT 2009

Where do the Trainmasters fit in? 1959 and later with the merger with VGN?

On 8/10/09 10:00 AM, "NW Modeling List" <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

The earliest N&W diesels were Alco RS3 phIII units and EMD GP9 phII units. Later came the Alco RS11, EMD GP9 ph III and EMD GP18 units.

For RS3 phIII; the only choice is Stewart (now Bowser) 's flat kit. It can be adapted to the Atlas/Kato RS3 chassis.
http://www.bowser-trains.com/Stewart/Stewart%20RS%203%20Body%20Kits.htm

For the GP9 and GP18; Proto 2000, and many years ago FRP. Cary had a metal shell.

Regarding the passenger units, they were GP9 phII and phIII with numerous modifications, especially noticeable is the large fuel/water tank, which is basically the same as a GP20 tank. Except in brass, there have been no models.

In addition, the N&W did have some E units on short term lease from neighboring roads. The Society offered custom painted Proto 2000 models of these many years ago. They occasionally show up on eBay.

Nigel
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nigelmisso