Reservations about reservations, was Re: Precision Craft CF Cabooses

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jun 18 12:20:35 EDT 2009

I totally agree about money down. I have money in one brass dealers hands that I provided for a reservation 6 years ago and still no model has been produced. With Broadway Limited (and all other plastic), at least at my local Arkansas hobby shop I can make a reservation without putting anything down. My reluctance to do reservations wasn't usually because of money down or not, but what I have to pay for the model once it came out. As we all know there are lots of dealers/sellers on the internet or eBay that provide significant discounts on most plastic models and if they are out of state there is no tax too. When I make a reservation at my local hobby shop I am obligated to buy the model at their price and pay tax. So I didn't make a habit of reserving models with them betting that I could buy the model(s) at a discounted price and not need to pay tax through the internet. I have reciently adjusted that philosophy and will reserve all models that I don't want to risk missing out on.

As for reservations and buying models in today's' model railroading market......Athearn (no longer a family operation) too has made some changes in the way they do business and you don't see everything announced being produced or you might see a only a limited run when it is produced. Smart businesses understand their market(s) and produce accordingly. It's about margin and return on investment. It's a different market for model railroading than it was 10 years ago and the companies producing products have evolved. Few anymore are family companies like Athearn and Varney(Lifelike)used to be. I've been in model railroading all my life (55+ years.....) thanks to my Dad. The good old days were great......... but look at the variety, the quality, the attention to prototype details, and technology we now have. As long as the manufacturers and suppliers have good return on their operations we will continue to have more and more great stuff to choose and buy from. It's our hobby but it's how they pay their bills and eat.

Ed Painter