4-8-0 Boiler

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Mar 15 15:32:11 EDT 2009

A year or so ago someone asked if anyone had a metal lathe to
make an N & W 4-8-0 boiler die.

I responded with a yes, for the lathe but also a yes for a milling
machine (both work SI and English), and stated that I would be
willing to make the steel die if I was sent a scale boiler drawing.
It would also help show centers for both stack and domes for the
drill holes.

How many of you remember the Mantua 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 brass
shim stock boiler shells that were sold in kits in the late 1940's
and early 50's, we can make the same today for the N&W "M" .

I started in H-O in 1947 when I was teenage. In those days one
had to learn to scratch-build almost everything so building an "M"
kit is no big deal if enough members are willing to help.

H. B. Lyon
lyonh at asme.org