Research for G scale

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Mar 11 20:12:22 EDT 2009

What are some of the differences between the in-service and excursion version of #611? - Early in her excursion career, the 611 had two dynamos mounted under the fireman's side running board.  Also, there was a red back-up light on the tender and numerous 'servicing' lights on the lower half of the engine.  These were taken off I think in the late 80's.  When she first rolled out of Birmingham, the whole headlight casing was chrome, but eventually had the outer 'diameter' ring painted black.  Check out an early excursion picture to see what I mean and compare to now.  The coal boards were added about '91 or so.  This gave about 5 more tons of coal capacity.

The A originally had coal boards, thought I don't know if they were the same measurements as what is on there now.  The first year out in '87, there was a turret cover just ahead of the cab that the BLI A's have and this was not on them in the steam days.  It also came off the 1218 after the first year or so.

They did 'swap' water tanks sometimes.  I think the one that was originally behind the J with the tuscan stripe ended up behind NKP 587 in 1989 and was eventually given/sold/pawned off on that group before the shut down in '94.  The smooth side tank that was tuscan the last half of '94 now runs behind Milwaukee Road 261.  The last tank is at VMT with the engines.