NW-Modeling-List Digest, Vol 63, Issue 8

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Mar 9 21:53:34 EDT 2009

Mike Asks

Does any company make a Class J whistle that is acceptable from the factory?
I realize that there are some programmable decoders out there, too... is
that a better option?
I have an HO Spectrum J and a Key K2a I would like to install them in.
Thank you for any advice....

Mike Rector

Soundtraxx used to make the UP Challenger that had a whistle very similar to
the J. I found the sound close enough to the J. Some people may dispute it,
but if you ever listen to more than a couple of videos of the 611 you will
find that depending on the weather, it sounded a little different from time
to time. Keep in mind the decoder is the Soundtraxx one not the Tsunami
one. This was a few years ago, whether or not they still make it, well I
could not say for sure.

Also look up ESU electronics aka LokSound. They have quite a few
programmable sound ones. Good Luck.

A.J. Gemperline