BENCHWORK HEIGHT

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Mar 9 12:36:13 EDT 2009

If I may add to Ed's answer, I've had occasion to research and discuss this
in some layout planning seminars. I hope this doesn't add more heat than
light.

My basic layout height is 55". The current plan only goes up or down about
6" from that. I'm only 5'10", but I like looking at the trains closer to
the same eye level I'd look at the prototype, it's easier to get under for
wiring, viewblocks only need to be a few inches high, return loops are less
obvious, and I can store more stuff under the layout. But, my wife is
5' 2", she can't see the layout top, but she only comes down to the basement
once a year, and I have a good step stool. Children and grandchildren are
not regular visitors, and, actually, visitors are rare.

What you need to do is a)visit a lot of layouts at different heights and see
what you are comfortable with, b)think about who else will be working on,
operating on, and visiting your layout. You also have to analyze how far
you can reach for rerailing, coupling, turnouts, etc. And then look at
wiring, other underlayout work, storage, duckunders (please avoid them if at
all possible--for most of us duckunders only get worse as we age)(at some
layout height a duckunder becomes a nodunder).

So the answer is the classic "it depends", and I don't find "blanket
recommendations" helpful.

Frank Bongiovanni