NW-Modeling-List Digest, Vol 62, Issue 19

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 18 11:42:33 EST 2009

I share Mr. Gemperline's frustration with Broadway Limited/Precision Scale Models for several reasons. I am attempting to model the Pocahontas Sub and in order to be able to use the older equipment I have been collecting for almost fifty years as well as the modern power which I see every day; I am modeling "dual eras". I plan to model 1968 with first generation and early second generation diesels and N&W passenger service and 2000 with modern NS equipment. I decided it would be nice to include a small group of N&W steam locos which presumably could serve as "excursion" power during operations in either era. My Broadway A is continually popping the cap off the gear tower on the rear set of drivers; allowing them to freewheel. When this happens the loco can just barely pull itself. Each time it happens you have to remove the boiler top to reset the cap. The Precision Y6B has only been run several hours and has a problem with the rear set of drivers locking up and stalling th
e engine. Also, during the Pocahontas Chapter Bluefield show in November the sound suddenly quit and I have been unable to get it to work since. I understand "things happen" but for the price on these two locos I expected a lot more. It must be admitted that my Broadway "J" has been OK though it's use has been limited.
Another problem I have with this company is what I consider shady business practices. The original company, which was located in Virginia, has been acquired by a Korean firm and several times they "dumped" product on the market through a couple of large mail order distributors at prices which were lower than the wholesale prices they were charging local hobby stores. This is one of the reasons why our local friendly hobby stores are disappearing. Now this company has their own mail order distributor in North Carolina, Factory Direct Trains. I have heard rumors of other shady practices by the Korean owners of these firms from what I consider a fairly reliable source in the model train industry. Don't know how the truth can be found out, the hobby press can't tell us as these are major advertisers. At any rate I do not intend to make further purchases from these firms unless and until some positive changes are made. Sorry for going on so long and thanks for letting me "let
off steam". Dan Mulhearn

Dan and Nina Mulhearn; Pipestem WV
dannina1 at earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.