VGN Battleship Gons

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 17 13:09:49 EST 2009

There are perhaps three options for these cars in HO: the original F&C flat kit, the revised F&C flat kit, and the revised F&C one-piece body kit. (Scratch building is a fourth option, but something of a challenge.) I have assembled a few of the original flat kits. They took a great deal of work as the main parts were not square and the detail parts were not up to then current standards. They look good on the track, but I vowed never to do more! I have waited for someone to do a better version, in brass, plastic or resin. F&C has said for several years that an improved version of their kit was on the way.

At the recent Springfield show I purchased several of the new one-piece body F&C kits. I haven't checked the bodies against drawings, but I am satisfied with the body detail; it's square (!) and has interior detail. The underframe and detail parts look adequate, but once again some parts will be replaced. The decals look somewhat "soft" to me. I prefer the Bill Mosteller set...much crisper and with more options.

The underbody detail drawings in the kit perpetuate the incorrect brake rigging used in the 1950's Model Railroader article from which the original F&C kit was designed. By any measure, the dual brake system is a challenge, but the F&C version is incorrect. I believe we ran CAD drawings of the underbody detail of the Yoder O scale model in The Arrow a couple of years ago. In any event, if anyone wants to tackle the correct underbody brake detail, let me know and we'll see about getting the drawings out again.

BTW, I used Athearn Buckeye trucks with scratched brake hangers and replacement wheel sets. The VGN cars used a one-of-a-kind Buckeye truck, with a 9' 6" wheel base, if memory serves. There is no commercial model of this truck. My Athearns look fine on the track.

A couple of postscripts. At Springfield, F&C offered a buy one-get one deal, which made buying kits somewhat less painful. The one-piece body kit lists for $50! Current resin kits in the $40+ range offer much finer detail with etched brass detail parts and much better decals, and much more accurate models. I believe for $50, one should expect more, but at a $25 effective unit price, I was satisfied. I still have to replace the decals and some brake parts. So while I am very pleased that Steve did what he said he would do, I'll wait for train shows and see what deals come along. (OTOH, this is our only present option.)

Hope this helps.

Bill McClure