Drawings of N&W Cantilever Bridge (Signals)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Dec 7 08:15:34 EST 2008

Well, I don't know what happened to the attachment I put on the original email, so here it is again if anybody wants to see it.

The cantilever we took down at Rawl, WV on April 17th of this year was an identical structure to the one in the photo from the archives.  I wish I'd have thought to take some measurements of it when we had it laying on the ground.

The decking on the structure was diamond tread plate steel.  The uprights were constructed of C channel with a 12" web if I remember right.  It had steel plate riveted to the back of the C channel for additional strength.  There was X bracing riveted to hold the two sides of C channel together to form the upright with the ladder riveted on the field side of the upright.  The gusset was constructed out of angle iron and was bolted to the structure in the field when it was assembled on site.  The arm of the cantilever was also constructed of the same C channel with X bracing on the bottom, and as I mentioned already had a diamond tread steel deck.  It was NOT an open grid deck.

I've attached a photo of Rawl's cantilever, and Sycamore's cantilever after it had been dumped in the scrap yard which shows the handrail and walkway details better.

Ben Blevins