Atlas U30B Phase 2 in HO Scale

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Sep 10 12:48:01 EDT 2008

Gang; I have been following with mixed feelings the "debate" regarding the proposed high short hood HO scale U30B to be produced by ATLAS. As an avid "operator" I am really glad to see something that at least approximates the prototype unit without me and my ten thumbs having to crack open another one of those GE high nose kits I have stashed in the basement. If it looks decent going by on a train I will probably be happy; although I will probably try to backdate it to a "phase 1" unit and paint it blue with the "hamburger" logo markings.
Having said that, I understand that everyone's level of tolerance for what Allen McClelland called "good enough" varies widely. Although my main interest is in operating the durn things there are some things I just will not abide visually. It is also understood that there are those who want it exact down to the last rivet and good for them. Probably, given the economics of mass producing plastic models at a price most of us can afford, Atlas is doing the best they can within reason. This is not to excuse some of the really huge "goofs" that have been made in the past due to a lack of research or a desire to squeeze the last nickel out of the investment. I am sure there are those who want exact prototype fidelity, but do not want have to "kit bash" what they have purchased. There are also those who enjoy working over a plastic model to make it exactly what they want. Just look at all those neat locomotive "kit bash" jobs in the magazines over the years by Jim Six and oth
ers. Then there are those who scratch build. This is a branch of the hobby which never ceases to amaze me because I just do not have the talent or the time to do that. But it is all good. The hobby varies from tin platers to people happy to run the Plywood Central with a steam loco pulling double stack cars and 1930 era stock cars in the same train to those who try to operate realistically to the absolute zealot rivet counters and there is room and enjoyment for all in the hobby. I own quite a few ATLAS high short hood GP38s, GP40s, SD35s, a B23-7 and with a minimum of work and a good weathering job I am very happy with how they look and how easy it was to get them in service. I just am not sure that beating up on the manufacturers because they did not get it perfect, given they did the best they could, is the way to encourage more N&W stuff on the market.
Dan Mulhearn Modeling in HO scale; N&W circa 1968 and NS circa 2000 (but not at the same time!)

Dan and Nina Mulhearn; Pipestem WV
dannina1 at earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.