DS-4-4-660

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Sep 9 07:56:31 EDT 2008

A story told many times, diesels with Westinghouse electrical equipment
(Baldwins and early FM's) couldn't MU with anything other than themselves because
of the unique electro-pneumatic control system W used.

"Wicks". Axle-hung traction motors have two support bearings on the
(surprise!) axle. Until recent years these were friction bearings with an oil
reservoir in the bearing housing. The lubricator wicks brought the oil up from
the reservoir to the axle surface through an opening in the bearing. Not being
able to change them without lifting the carbody off the trucks would
definitely be an...um...issue!!!!

In the late '50's early '60's when I worked summers for the LIRR, they had a
small fleet of the Baldwin 660 hp units, mostly used to switch the Long
Island City car floats. I never heard much about them one way or the other.
They had one 1000 hp Baldwin, #450, which was said to be quite popular because
of its extra horsepower.

About the W electricals in the LIRR's FM's, the less said the better.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 9/9/2008 9:39:21 P.M. AUS Eastern Standard Time,