Modeling "rock fences"

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Feb 9 16:11:36 EST 2008

On the Chicagoland version of the Pokey we use hardware cloth soldered to lenghts of rail.

You cut your rail to 39' scale feet and bury about 4' or so in your scenery!! Why 39' that what the N&W did!!

We spray painted it with a rusty brown and it does look great! Remeber to bend the rail at the top a bit. We just eyeballed it. It is easy to bend using a rail nipper on just the head and web leaving the base of the rail intact.

This method is a close approximation based on our feild trips!

Mike Ritschdorff and BJ Kaspar> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:06:45 -0500> To: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> Subject: Modeling "rock fences"> From: nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> > > Howdy,> > I am trying to find a suitable material for modeling the rock fences that one sees along sections of rail road that are in close proximity to cliff faces . I have taken dozens of photos of these fences and the only detail I can't model is the fence itself. If anyone has found a suitable material for doing this type of fence I would appreciate knowing how you did it. > > Thanks,> > Ken McWilliams> ________________________________________> NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org> To change your subscription go to> http://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-modeling-list> Browse the NW-Modeling-List archives at> http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-modeling-list/