MW green, prototype models, etc.

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Feb 7 17:48:11 EST 2008

Howdy Mr. Long,

Thanks for the suggestion and I will certainly give it a try. I take it from your description that this color green may be a tad on the light side? You mentioned that it might be a canidate for weathering. Since several of the cars I am bulding are older ones, this may be perfect for these older cars, ie: box cars, flats, and gons, both the classes GI, G2, and G6 low gons and the class GKd high side gons. I am also building one of the flats that were made from old steam tenders. I found one being used as a Burro crane tender. Nearly all of these cars show signs of extreme weathering. I only have four or five photos of newer green MW cars that appear to have been freshly painted. Are there any blueprints of the bottoms of these converted tenders available? If not, should anyone know the basic under structure of the old tenders that would also be a great help! I took photos of the entire car except for the under side. I did notice that there are structural beams running the e
ntire
length of the car as well as at least 6 cross members.

If you have any suggestions as to older models that could be used or kitbashed for low side gons and high side gons, I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have. I have onel low side that came out very good, and one high side gon that I am now finishing, both from older metal models. But I would like to have several more of the low side gons if I can find suitable cars to work from.

Are the orange colored cars NS merger cars? Last question, I have photos of silver and black N&W MW cars. Are these exceptions or were these colors used by different yards or paint shops?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on the other questions.

Respectfully,

Ken McWilliams