Neon Sign dimensions for N&W Roanoke Shops

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Feb 4 18:39:05 EST 2008

Here was Miller Engineering's reply about Roanoke Shops signs idea. Perhaps
NWHS officials can persuade them?

Thanks for sending those images. We get many requests for sign and I have
heard of the N&W Railway's Roanoke Shops, and it is a great sign. The
question that always determines if we do a sign is how many would we sell?
The that Roanoke sign is for a very specific area so I am not sure how many
we would sell. I have added the images you sent to our image library for
future consideration.
Thanks, again,
Chris
Miler Engineering

Summary of my email to them:
I wondered if you had given any consideration to making signs for the N&W
Railway's Roanoke Shops. There were two versions of the sign at the shops
over the years before N&W became Norfolk Southern and the sign was replaced
with a large rectangular sign elsewhere on the building complex.

There was a sign from the days of steam - I'm guessing from the 1930's to
about 1971, with the lettering spelling out "N & W Roanoke Shops." From
about 1971 to about 1987, the sign read simply "NW Roanoke Shops." Attached
are photos of the sign from the late 1980's along with a link to a night
shot of it too. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=53299
<http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=53299&nseq=6> &nseq=6.