Red Bird Red

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jan 25 12:41:23 EST 2008

I agree with Gary about the flashy appearance of the Red Birds. I remember seeing them when they new. On the Shenandoah Division, the Shenandoah to Hagerstown day local freights were powered by the Red Birds, so we got to see them in daylight. These trains ran on the schedule of mixed 13 & 14, which were discontinued in 1957. The paint scheme was not fancy, but it sure was classy. BTW, these locals provided day time REA service on the north end by carrying a 200 series express boxcar three days a week.

Rick Morrison

Subject: RE: Red Bird Red

I have seen some original Kodakchrome slides of Red Birds in Cincinnati taken on bright clear summer days. The paint is clearly metallic and is much more metallic looking than that used by the later excursion paint on N&W/NS equipment. The appearance was very "hot rod" with the paint looking like it had a thick layer of clear paint over the top of the metallic Tuscan. The photo below is good but doesn't show the sheen of the metallic paint in sunlight.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati