Signal aspects...

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 22 22:14:06 EST 2008

Well, I'm glad for Tommy's input. I couldn't figure out the signal. It was not listed as a CP in the timetable, just as Robb stated, and that had me stumped. However, I did find reference to it in the special instructions.

8. Alignment detector is located at Bridge 825, near MP N 349.0, west of Oakvale, WV. When a westward movement on either track receives a Stop indication on signal at Oakvale crossover, or when an eastward movement received a Stop indication on Signal at MP N 350.0, it must not proceed until is has been ascertained that Bridge 825 is in proper alignment.

9. Alignment detector is located at Bridge 831, Ingleside, WV, MP N 352.8. When a westward movement on either track receives a Restricting indication on signal at MP N 352.5, or when an eastward movement on either track receives a Stop indication on signal at Blake crossovers, it must not proceed until it has been ascertained that Bridge 831 is in proper alignment.

Now, my question is, why is one signal giving a Restricting indication, but the other signal is rigged to give a Stop instead of a Restricting? I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know what it is.

Ben Blevins

NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
Ahh, the honorable Tommy Duncan. Great to hear he is having input on the the email thru the NWHS. One of the best to ever work for the N&W, in my opinion.

Now, if we could just get him online.....

Will Sadler

NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
Robb,
I just got off the phone with former dispatcher "Dear Brother" Tommy Duncan and he said these signals definately are not control points as you said but are tied into the bridges, much like a slide fence, as I related. Seems that overloaded dump trucks from a nearby quarry tend to hit the bridges quite often. He also said that someone from the B&B Dept. must inpect the bridge and a signal maintainer needs to reset the trip. He also was going to do a little more checking and if he comes up with anything else, I'll let you know. Hope this clears things up.
Jimmy Lisle
NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.________________________________________
NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org