Late HL hoppers...

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Oct 10 16:36:52 EDT 2007

--- NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> > I
think your first assertion may be closer to

> correct, that the entire HL class was built with the

> fishbelly side sheets. Like other Company images,

> the "late production HL" image in Mr. Dow's book is

> suspect.

> Grant Carpenter

> Please explain further... I see nothing 'suspect'

> about the image. Car number is in a legitimate HL

> series, isn't an H9 rebuild (note the one piece

> sides... when the fishbelly HLs were rebuilt to H9s,

> they got two-piece sides... the late HLs that were

> rebuilt retained their original one-piece sides, and

> Portsmouth certainly didn't paint any of those in

> 1952).

==========================
What is suspect to me is that 58500 shows a build date
of 1-40:

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1946.jpeg

While 57282 (fishbelly) shows a build date of 10-40:

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1948.jpeg

>From the photos one could conclude that 57282 was

built late - later than 58500. And the later car has
fishbelly sides.

We need more pix!

Mark Peele
Catonsville, MD