[N Scale] Microtrains to do N&W twin hopper Runner Pack Part3

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Oct 10 09:50:52 EDT 2007

--- NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>
wrote:

> I went back to Andrew Dow's book and re-read the

> passages on the HL. Apparently "late" production of

> the HL class hoppers did not have the "fishbelly"

> sides, but were similar in appearance to the rebuilt

> H9 class. Out of a total of 12,500 HL hoppers

> produced, the first 8,500 had the "fishbelly".

> Assuming the chronology in Dow's book is correct,

> this

> would mean that the following number ranges would

> more

> closely match the MT twin peaked:

> 57500 to 58749, 58750 to 59999, 67000 to 67499,

> 56500

> to 56999, 57000 to 57499.

> As the last HL hoppers were built in 1940, all of

> them

> would have the 17" "N&W".

> Mark Peele

===========================
A followup post by another revived my skepticism of
Dow's "late" HL hypothesis. The only evidence cited
seems to be the photo of 58500 published in the book:

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1946.jpeg

However, others have speculated that this was a
"doctored" photo.

So I looked around on the Va Tech site for other HL's
in the above # range and found a few - note that all
are FISHBELLY:

57282:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1948.jpeg

59731:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1943.jpeg

69517:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1942.jpeg

Based on the photographic evidence I am going to
conclude that Dow was wrong about this and that all HL
hoppers were built fishbelly style.

Mark Peele
Catonsville, MD

N&W in N scale