Yard Operation

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Sep 9 08:24:02 EDT 2007

Since the height of the benchwork will be chest high, and have
several removable scenery bits for access The width of the layout
will actually work. Much is scenery in the farthest reaches which
isn't required to be re-railed as much as maybe a Rivorossi Y6b or
something. I have built several roads with my dad, where 3 foot
wide worked - again, due to the depth of the scenery. I am
including grades this time (gasp) but my primary heavy haulers are
Powerhouse Y3's so I don't see much problem. As to the long 4 foot
wide sides, one has the yard right at the front and in back, up a few
inches will be the 2 track mainline partly hidden in tunnels. The
other sides 4 foot wide is accessible from both sides with graded
mainlines and 2 coal tipples - one per side.

I still want to design a usable yard (N&W STYLE) so the route of the
mainlines is one of those points. ANY OTHER yard design suggestions
would be very helpful!

Also, were the round electric block signals in operation by 1934,
back in the area west of Bluefield, back to Panther, or were they
still using the semaphores?

Colors of the N&W company buildings(stations, et al) are needed as
well. My scratchbuilt Winfall station is tan with Maroon trim. Is
THAT correct?

Finally, my dad models The Southern in the same era(1930's). We
assume White with Green trim for stations etc. Can anyone verify??

IF any of you want to see the layout plan, send me an email and I'll
send you a JPG. Contact me; y3a at earthlink.net.

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's

Mark, having built several layouts Bob Lang is correct, do not build
wide, 18" is about max depth for HO and good working depth. for both
single and doule track operations and allows an occasional siding or
two. Shelf layouts with a peninsula using a view block offers a lot
of trackage in a relatively compact area. Keep the height at a level
comfortable to you. You might consider two levels, easy to do, just a
bit of planning. Also get books of layouts and modify one to your
taste. AVOID duckunders!. Keep the aisles as wide as possible, 4'
minimum, 5 feet or more. Consider staging yards, next room, on on
another level, screened, they do not have to be finished as they are
utilitarian.
Good luck, Cal Reynolds.