Historical & Technical Questions

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Sep 8 08:27:50 EDT 2007

I have some technical questions that need some answers before I
finalize my train layout.
I'm modeling the south western VA area, in the 1930's. 1934 to be
precise.

My questions:

1. Do the mainlines go to the outside of the yard track, or snake
thru the middle?
2. Are the yards 2 separate mini yards next to each other, one east,
one west?
3. were the semaphores still in use by 1934, or were the round
targets in use by then?
4. What colors did N&W use for the utility and station buildings. I
thought they were tan with Maroon trim.

OK, One last question for my dad, Who models the Southern in the
same era:
What colors were they using on the Stations? White with southern
green trim?

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's