PSC or PCM Brass Y6b

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Aug 16 10:48:08 EDT 2007

Steve,

Part of the decision depends on whether you want the ultimate detailed
showpiece or a more practical model that runs well and pulls realistic sized
trains. I bought a PSC brass class A around that same time period. It was
exquisitely detailed, with the pony and trailing trucks equalized with the
drivers, removable lids on the sand domes, sprung trailing truck, openable
lid on tender, etc. The problems started when I tried to operate it pulling
modest trains of 30+ cars. It was slippery, and tended to short out on even
broad curves of 32² radius due to the close tolerances of the brake hangers.
The next thing I knew, the wormgear (made of brass) in the front engine
failed. I had NWSL custom make some replacement wormgears of delrin. Then,
after that, the brass universal joints wore out. It was a nightmare.
Admittedly, there are extensive 1.5% grades on my layout, but I still think
that the power train was far too fragile. I think that the BL class A or
the PCM Y look very good, and are far more rugged and reliable.

Bob Folsom
Clemson, SC