Quality and resonable replica of the N&W heavy's?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 21 17:33:03 EST 2007

Branchline makes the ³single window² 78¹ car kit in several road names
including N & W. You can build it a various levels of detail, but it takes
a lot of alteration to allow the trucks to swivel freely on curves as broad
as 32² r. F & C also made a resin Pg coach kit. The F & C is probably the
most accurate model of an N & W Pg, but by far is also the most expensive!
I have one F & C car just about to receive its paint job and two Branchline
cars waiting to be built. I don¹t really like the color on the Branchline
cars, but after hearing all considerations, I will leave it alone. Walthers
makes a ³paired window² car painted for N & W which I haven¹t seen yet. The
other plus for these cars compared to the Spectrum is the roof line. The
PRR P-70s had a distinctly lower clerestory roof. Eastern Car Works also
made a P-70 painted for N & W. I put a new higher clerestory roof on mine
which helps to disguise the PRR look. Walthers has come out with new
versions of most of the heavyweight passenger cars they used to sell 45
years ago ­ wooden bodies with metal sides and ends. I have one of their
old 75¹ single window coaches which I just recently built after all this
time. It is not quite as long as the N&W cars (or as long as the
Branchline, F & C, ECW, etc.) I wonder if they plan to come out with a new
version of a 75 ­ 80 foot single window coach.

Bob Folsom