The Issue of Color

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Feb 5 23:12:12 EST 2007

I must say I at a loss concerning the issue of paint color. We seem to be confusing the 2 colors of red the N&W used with the effects of weathering on that red. Yes, there is a range of spec when producing a batch of paint (my father ran a paint manufacturing company for 20 plus years and I know more about paint than I care to) but if your getting the range of "color" that some are suggesting between batches then you aren't going to have a job for long. You also get a false color fresh off the paint line because there is a difference between "dry to the touch and cured dry" I saw one of the best in action growing up and I not sure what the controls are today but I can tell you he had to teach me to see the differences, between approved batches and the master, they were so subtle and this was by eye! Now I'm sure there were times when shop people needed to extend the quantity they had on hand to finish and produced some odd ball colors but I doubt that was a big problem
overall.

Some people it appears are happy to be able to buy "weathered" passenger cars, I intend to use some myself, but maybe others aren't or prefer to weather their own. But with that said, I thought we are a historical society dedicated to preserving history as it was not preserving what everyone likes. If we have in our means the ability to obtain proof of what the correct color is (supported by fact) to preserve for history then shouldn't we? I see everyone else talking about correcting this and that why shouldn't this be an item of concern?

Other than that I understand committee members are volunteers and I thank them for their willingness to serve but if this is not the kind of matters they are charged with overseeing, please tell me what is the purpose of the modeling committee, not to be giving anyone a hard time, just asking for clarification.

Rodney