CODE 83 RAIL

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 30 19:00:41 EST 2007

Hi Ed and all,

As founder and ruler of CLUB 83 (1986-1994) I highly recommend using code 83 track for the mainline. Our 12x60+ or - modular layout did many train shows at malls and GATS in the eight years we were together. Never did we have any problems with the Walthers and Railcraft track. Some members of another club laughed at us for using code 83 rail. They said it would never survive the transporting and so forth...Ha! My yard tracks are code 70 Shinohara and I never had any of the rails ripped off their ties. I would guess you're not building a modular layout so your rails wont be seeing the "rough" service. After switching to Dyna-Trol in 1993 we had no problems with the Walthers/Shinohara turnouts...other than spectators playing with the ground throws. The circuit breaker wouldn't trip if the train was at the far end of the layout. The decoders would cook when some "mall patron" (I'm not talking kids here) would throw a trailing turnout in front of the train. Buzzitt!!!

The code 83 scales out to be real close to 132lbs. rail. N&W's Winston-Salem District aka Punkin' Vine is all 132lbs. rail on the main line. The code 100 rail is closer to what Amtrak uses on the Northeast Corridor. I would use code 70 for passing sidings and yard trackage. If I was you I'd try to find track charts for the area that you are modeling. These charts have the rail weight and dates listed when they were last worked on. To bad they don't list the side tracks on them.

One other quick thought, I'd make sure that the brand of turnouts used are DCC compatible even if you don't plan to use it now. I think someday standard DC model trains will be a thing of the past just like 6v prewar trains.

John Hecker
nwrlinemp72 at ca.rr.com