Code 83 Rail

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 30 16:29:46 EST 2007

Ed

First let me assure you that the small difference in rail height between
Code 100 and Code 83 won't prevent a J from coming off the track if it
gets going. I have had lots of experience with Code 83 and smaller and
never had any problems operating on them. My current layout uses Code
55. Unless you are operating pre RP-25 flanges on your cars, the first
Y-6s from Riverossi example REplacement wheelsets are available now
for those engines as well as the Riverossi cars. I would go with the
Code 83 as slowly the manufacturers are phasing out Code 100 track and
turnouts. Also Code 83 represents 130# rail that is the most common
used today. For sidings I would use Code 70 as it represents the
lighter 100 # rail.

Just some ideas

Larry Smith, MMR