N&W Pass Red.

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 23 19:57:51 EST 2007

Gary:

When I joined the NWHS and went to the fist convention in Roanoke headed by Rick Stone, this same discussion come up. I wanted to be accurate as possible the 50's red. The discussion ended with the AHM/Riv. car as being very close. Before the '86 convention I had sent Scalecoat a AHM/Riv. N&W passenger car to make a quart of the N&W red. The paint come back from Scalecoat labled Scalecoat II PRR tuscan red . While attending the '86 convention again a group of "seasoned" modelers - Dean Freytag, Tom Dressler, Rick Stone and others brought the subject up again. This is when I brought out a model of my N&W Powhattan Arrow Tavern Lounge (Which went to the National NMRA Convention and took First Place and the Walthers Passenger Car award) and showed it Dean, Tom and the rest without telling them about the paint color.
They all thought that the color was very close, so I then confided that I had Scalecoat match the AHM/Riv. car and it turned out to be the Tuscan red. I have not changed color since, as the cars match Keys and Overland N&W red. This is the N&W color that these gentlemen told me that looked pretty close and I'm sticking to it.. I figured most of the gentlemen had seen the cars [ I being so so so much younger than they} would be my best resource. So Gary since your only 28 I recommend Scalecoat Tuscan Red.

Stephen Rineair
Cincy

Stephen Rineair