N&W Pass Red.

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jan 23 07:31:59 EST 2007

A clip of a passing Pocahantas on the Vintage Rails Volume 6 VHS proves that
the N&W red was lighter and indeed ³rosier² than PRR Tuscan Red. However,
even the N&W made major changes in their own color as I could prove with a
pictures I took in 1957 of the Pocahantas leaving Petersburg and in 1958
leaving Portsmouth. In the Petersburg photo, the sleepers are ³orangier²
than the rest of the train. In the Portsmouth pix, the diner is way darker
than the coaches. In that same train the combine probably had not received
a new paint job since it was modernized in 1949 and was so washed out that
indeed it was a very ³rosy² color, almost pink due to the way the sunlight
was hitting it. Which brings up another problem in looking at old pix ­ the
color in bright sun is drastically different from other settings. Take one
of your models out of the house into the bright sunlight and you can
understand the problem. I recently acquired the Key Imports version of the
Powhatan Arrow. I feel that their paint job is a little dark, but lacking
any better comparison, I think I will use it as a guideline to mixing up
paint for other cars. It is a nice rich color, just a little lighter and
redder than PRR Tuscan Red.

I will be glad to e-mail those Portsmouth pix to anyone who wants them. I
would also be glad to take a picture of a Key car along with an IHC car and
a Branchline Trains car, and possibly a PRR car I could borrow from a friend
just for the sake of comparison. Just contact me at
rjfolsom at bellsouth.net.

Bob Folsom
N&W Clemson Division